Postcard From Croatia
May 13th, 2011

Korcula, Croatia

Korčula, Croatia

The Croatia Within The Frame photographic adventure arrived yesterday in Dubrovnik for our final excursions before we all go our separate ways. It’ll be bittersweet to leave Xeinos, our fifty-foot sailboat for the week, but I’ll be glad to get home after a month of extreme roller-coaster highs and lows. It’s not been what I planned nor expected of this time in Italy and Croatia—not even close, but I have shared this month with some amazing people in some amazing places. Even through the fog of pain and loss, I can see that I’m blessed to know such wonderful people.

A sailboat is not always an easy place for a group of people, particularly when many arrive as strangers to each other. It’s not like a hotel, where you can close yourself off in your room to meet later in the lobby. It’s a confined space in which there are few secrets and lots of sharing. Fortunately, this group has gelled extremely well, including with our skipper (and now friend) Damir. I’ve just missed my friend and cohort David duChemin. Every time we saw something interesting, ate something brilliant, drank something surprising, sailed along the rocky shore or jumped off the bow into the not-so-terribly-warm water I thought of him and how much he’d have enjoyed this adventure. It was something that I wished to share with him. So dearest David, this was a trial run; there will be a do-over, and you will be on the boat with me—like it or not. But, no, there will be no snuggling. (OK, maybe there will be a little bit of snuggling.)

10 Responses to “Postcard From Croatia”

1. Emma Blee says:

HI Jeffrey – I’m glad to see you enjoyed the Croatia week – much deserved after the shocker of a month you have had. Cheers Emma

2. Rosa says:

Niiceeeeee! :-)

Jeffrey, today is the opening of an exhibition where some of my photos will be hanging on a wall. That’s a first time for me and, for some reason, I have you and David in my mind.
    Take care,
    Rosa

3. Crystal says:

Thank you for sharing what you do on your blog. It’s been fun watching you through this trip and hearing about how you care for David. You are a true friend.

4. Anna Velkey-Solvberg says:

Jeffrey, such a gentle spirited post about this trip that was surely not was any of you planned… It says everything! Hopes for a real do-over with the unseparable partner and friend!

5. Hi Jeffrey – lovely postcard! It makes me even more nostalgic about those dusk shoots in Liguria… It’s good to know you enjoyed the Croatia experience, especially after your horror month. All the best, Andrée

6. Eli R. says:

There is a time for everything.
    And now it’s the time to go home.

7. Jeff Fielding says:

I love the fact that you missed snuggling with David. Safe travels!

8. leonie says:

Lovely. And sad also that David couldn’t be there with you.

I’m looking forward to meeting you in Mexico and quietly hoping that David is well enough to travel with you/us then. I can’t imagine what it must be like for him having to put his adventures on hold. Or what it’s like for you not having him there with you on your adventures!

9. Thanks Jeffrey. Wished I were with you guys so much but getting emails from others on the boat made me miss it all a little less. Knowing how much fun you were having just made me smile. I’d give anything to have my feet back right about now, but as Eli pointed out, there’s a time for everything. Apparently my time for Croatia is next year :-)

Rosa, Congratulations on the show! Wish I could see it.

Jeff, all references to snuggling are purely metaphorical.

Leonie – I’m counting on it! See you there. :-)

10. Tom Kostes says:

Gorgeous “Blue Hour” image. Sounds like a great adventure.