The Ones You Love
June 14th, 2010

Silvia - Jodhpur, India

Silvia - Jodhpur, India

I’ve mentioned my wife a few times in this blog, and today is an opportune moment to introduce her (at least semi-properly with a photo). Today is our wedding anniversary. It’s almost frightening to say the number, but here we go… we’ve been married for seventeen years. Other than being me, which I’ve been doing for quite a long time (since day one to be precise), it’s, by far, the longest thing I’ve ever done. I’ve never lived anyplace for that long. I’ve never worked anywhere for that long. Nothing even comes close. Well, except for my passion and pursuit of photography, but I took breaks from that – many and probably too often. I took no breaks from seventeen years of marriage with Silvia. I never wanted to. I’d walk right back in to Villa Reale in Milan and marry her all over again. In fact, that would be quite entertaining!

While introducing Silvia, I want to remind you to do something that I so often forget. Take photos of the ones you love. It’s too easy to get caught up in taking photographs for your clients, for your portfolio, of all the shinny objects vying for your attention. It’s too easy to forget, or postpone, taking photos of those you see often, particularly those you see every day. However, even though these photos will never be a part of your portfolio, they will be the photos that you truly treasure as your journey begins to count in years (a number that you might sometimes pretend to forget) and then in decades.

I’m (extremely) guilty of not remembering to do this. Extremely. In three weeks in India I took only a handful of photos of Silvia. (No, those of the back of her head as she walked in front of me along the streets of India don’t count.) So… do as I say and not as I do. Go now and take photos of the ones you love.

10 Responses to “The Ones You Love”

1. Luciano says:

Ciao Jeffrey, buon anniversario!!! Hope to meet you again sometime soon….

Ciao,
    Luciano

2. Luba Guglielmo says:

Happy Anniversary Jeff.
    Great picture of Silvia, and what sweet sentiments.

3. Hallo Jeffrey und Silvia, herzlichen Glückwunsch!!!

Tschüss, Jens

Wise advice, Jeffrey!

4. Silvia says:

What nice surprise!

…But you are right, even if I don’t live in a refuge camp or in some remote village with bugs as big as my big toe (quite big indeed) you have to take more photo of ME!

Happy anniversary to Us!
    Love you

5. Anna Velkey-Solvberg says:

Such a special personal note from you Jeffrey – love it and thank you for it…! I’ll take your advice. And blessings for the next 17… :)

6. Franci says:

BELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BELLISSIMA SILVIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E VOI. bacioni from Milan, close to Villa Reale :)

7. Congratulations, Jeffrey & Silvia!
    Greetings from Oslo, Norway

8. Ray K says:

Just topped 20 yrs a couple of days ago and it wouldn’t make 21 if I started taking pictures of Diane. :)
    Happy anniversary! and hope the next 17 are as fun.

9. Jeff Fielding says:

I wish we could have met your better half in Italy!
    Congrats.

Jeff

10. Lesley says:

Congratulations on 17 years!

This post really speaks to me. I used to take tons of photos of my friends, family, and boyfriend (now husband)… until I got “serious” about photography. These days, I find I rarely point my lens at anyone who looks too familiar. I’m gonna revert back pronto! Thanks for your post – a great reminder.